we love cabbage rolls - like love 'em! but sometimes we aren't in the mood for all of the fussing around that comes with them. and we have now perfected a recipe for having your cabbage rolls without the fuss, nor the rolls. it tastes just as delicious as cabbage rolls. the following recipe is the exact same recipe that i use when making actual cabbage rolls, as well.
cabbage rolls without the rolls
1/4 of a cabbage, shredded
1lb of hamburger
2 cups of basmati (or whatever you have) rice
4 big handfulls of sauerkraut (try making your own - sauerkraut is very easy to make and is so good for you!)
1 can of tomatoe puree (hopefully your own home-canned)
1 can of whole tomatoes (again, hopefully your own home-canned)
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
a splash of apple cider vinegar WITH the Mother
a dollop of unpasteurized honey
a large knob of butter
a splash of worcestershire sauce
fresh (or dried) oregano
a dollop of sour cream for serving
sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste
1. pour your tomatoe puree into a large stock pot and heat on low to medium heat. add the vinegar, garlic, honey, oregano, salt and pepper. chop up your whole tomatoes and add. add the handfulls of sauerkraut and don't squeeze it out. taste for seasoning and adjust to taste.
2. put your rice in the rice-maker or make your rice according to instructions on the box. we use a rice maker and add a small bit of almond oil - the almond oil really brings out the flavour in the basmati.
3. heat your hamburger over medium-high heat. splash some worcestershire sauce all over it and mix to combine.
4. when the hamburger is finished, strain and then dump it into your tomatoe sauce. don't clean the pan that the hamburger was cooked in - put it back on the burner.
5. add a large dollop of butter to the pan that the hamburger was cooked in. toss your shredded cabbage in and saute until just tender.
6. add the rice and cabbage to the tomatoe sauce. stir. taste and adjust seasonings if required.
7. serve and enjoy! if you love cabbage rolls - you will love this!